Monday, January 18, 2010

January and February, 1980

I think that after the first 2 months or so, once everyone has come to see the baby and you adjust to the new routine of having a child...the novelty wears off a bit and you realize that, as David Cross has noted, babies are pretty boring. Here is what I was up to during the first two months of 1980.

January:

"Baby's Schedule: Sleeping through the night. Nurses 2-3 hours. Napes three times a day.

Firsts and Favorites: Continues to look at red & blue clown & humpty dumpty. By end of the month, holds things [play keys and a rattle] put in fist - doesn't seem aware that he's holding it.

Notes: Sits in infant seat with clown supported in front. Has started to follow me [Helen] in kitchen when sitting in infant seat. Eyes still blue. Likes bath in sink, hair on top is growing in. Laughs, usually when being changed or when pulled to standing position."

My dad's final entry here reads "Nathan - I've never met a baby that laughed as easily and naturally as you. You are a very happy baby and laugh with your mother all the day long. You have a smile for everyone. Keep your sonny disposition."

I like how he's still trying to weasel the name "sonny" into my life. Nice one pops!

I also made a trip out to New Jersey with my mom from January 25 - 27 where apparently I "slept the entire way there and back in the car seat in the Honda and only nursed once."

February:

"Baby's Schedule: Nurses at night occasionally. Naps 1-2 hours two times a day.

First and favorites: Likes rattle with face on it. Likes rock and stack. By end of month started to enjoy wooden rattle. Sits in swingomatic but is not crazy about it.

Notes: Holds rattle, shakes it, looks at it. Drools all the time! Stands when holding hands. Has eaten banana twice. Laughs and giggles. Seems to like music. Hair growing in quite thick on top. Rolled over on 2/27 while lying on bathroom floor. I [Helen] was putting clothes in the washer and when i looked over at Nathan, he was lying on his belly - didn't do it again that entire day!

Grandpa Whittemore sometimes scares nathan with his loud voice. At first Grandpa thought Nathan didn't like him, but I thought maybe it was his loud voice. By February Grandpa had learned to talk a little softer and Nathan didn't seem scared anymore."

Ha, that last bit is so true. For as long as I can remember, Grandpa employs a kind of half-shout as his normal speaking voice. Especially when greeting someone. i can imagine him coming right up in a baby's face (because i've seen him do it with my sister and my cousin's sons) and saying "WHY 'ELLO NATHAN! 'OW ARE YOU DOIN'? 'AVE YA GOT YER SOCKS ON, YEAH?" Jarring, for sure.

Looking over the entries for the next few months, I promise I get a little more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment