Monday, December 14, 2009

First Christmas and bop till you drop!

Not much going on in december until the holidays, other than the usual 3 cycle baby engine of eat, poop, sleep. It seems I also went bald. As subsequent photo documentation will show, I was not the cutest baby. Thankfully I've managed to turn that around over the last 30 years.   

So up until this post, my little project has been mostly a secret, shared only with a few close friends and my cousin Lisa. However, since there were multiple mentions of a "Bop Till You Drop" party on Decembered 22nd, I thought it was time to consult my dad for some insight into how my parents and their friends celebrated the holidays. I called my dad, and he relayed this information....  

"As far as "Bop 'Til You Drop" in 1979. This was our first wedding anniversary...i.e the anniversary of the "Love Feast", the occasion when your mother and I got married the first time. I think I told the whole story to Chris not long ago. Any way, a year later we were living at 707 (Flying) High Street. I had spent the first half of the year remodeling that old house into an office and apartment. We moved there in July and I started my practice. It was a very busy year for me and Helen.  

We invited everyone we knew...people came from all over. I think you would call us "Yuppies"...all twenty somethings who were into the party scene. I prepared a 2 hour custom cassette tape of all our favorite dance tunes...a lot of Springsteen, Van Morrison, & Little Feat along with others. I still have the tape...it is labeled "Love Feastivities" and I recently played it...a fine collection of tunes."  

So there ya have it. Doesn't sound too much different from the parties I frequent these days. I "dropped" at 10:30 that night, and slept until 7:30 the next morning. All bopped out I suppose!  

To clarify a few things, my dad's "practice" was his private medical practice in Williamsport, though he did have hospital privileges at the hospital just across the street from were we lived and as legend has it, used to roller skate over there for deliveries.  

As for the "love feast"... My parents were originally married in their apartment by a friend, with my dad's sister and brother in attendance if I recall correctly, but neither set of parents knew or were present when it happened. Not much information about that night has leaked out over the years haha. About 9 years later when they converted to Christianity, they decided to have a "regular" wedding in our church to renew their vows or what have you. My memory from that day is Uncle Keith making fun of me for my superman underwear (is 9 yrs old too old for those?) which were plainly visible underneath my white pants.  

Christmas eve was spent at my Auntie's house, as it has almost every year since then. Dad couldn't make it as he had to deliver a baby for a woman named Mary that night. 

On Christmas day we went down to Reading to see my dad's family. I was sporting a red velvet suit from my Godfather Alphonse, who had also given me a Snoopy doll. My Aunt Edna and Uncle Bob in England sent money for a stroller, and Cyndie Bowers gave my mom a picture of me nursing. Wonder where that has ended up? I'll have to poke around my parents' house next week while I am home. I'll get the full tracklisiting from the Bop party and post it here as well. Hedley out!

No comments:

Post a Comment