Monday, December 14, 2009

First month, November 1979

There isn't much more in the journal aside from the letters and the circumcision notes, so its back to another baby calender, augmented this time by "Baby's First Year: A Little Book of Memories," which breaks every page into month, weight, height, schedule, firsts, and notes. Much more manageable an undertaking I'd imagine.

Three days after I was born I came home, and my mom wrote, "Oct 29, the day Nathan was to leave the hospital Donald I saw and heard him laugh - neither of us would have believed it had we not witnessed it."

Mom also noted that the first week was "hectic and overwhelming," and that I was sleeping 3-4 hours at a time in a basinette in my parents' room. Grandma and Grandpa Whittemore came from Lewisburg on November 1st, and Auntie, Uncle Larry and my cousin Lisa came the next day. My dad's parents, the Dickerson's and my Uncle Keith drove up from Reading on the 17th. Thanksgiving was with my parent's friend Deborah Keller and her family.

My favorite toys were a cown, a wooden horse from Peter Koch (mom's favorite of my early toys), Humpty Dumpty from Sandy Capwell (my favorite), and a teddy bear from my cousin Lisa, who was nearly 4 when I was born.

I formed a quick bond with my parents during my first month. My mom wrote that, "He seemed to know me at a very early age - his arms would jerk slightly. When picked up by me he seemed to calm down. He started to smile at Daddy by 3 weeks."

Also, apparently infants are pretty boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment